Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Chosen One

I have just finished reading a book called, The Chosen One, which is about a young girl, Kyra, growing up in a polygamist community. Soon into the book you learn that Kyra commits sins of reading, and her secret meetings with a boy, Joshua. The book explains how she falls deeply in love with Joshua, but their relationship is forbiden. Kyra doesn't get to choose who she will marry and have kids with, unlike our society. Instead, the Prophet decrees that she must marry her sixty-year-old uncle. Kyra and Joshua are both deeply sickend at the thought of the idea, and Joshua vows to her that he will that to the Prophet and he will fight for them to be together, because he chooses her. Throughout this book Kyra battles with a reaccuring thought, will she be able to share Joshua with other woman? This thought made me think, I've been in a relationship for 2 years, and I've never had to think about the feelings of sharing my boyfriend, Mario, with other woman, because it's not known in the society we live in. But, then I thought, what if I was in Kyra's situation? What if I had to share the one person I love more than anything with other woman? I can't bare the thought. Kyra would have no choice though, and that bothers me. She wouldn't be able to have special moments with Joshua, because he would be sharing the same thing with other woman. I know if I was in her position, I wouldn't feel at all special. It would hurt so bad knowing that I'm just another wife to Mario, nothing special. I get jealous if a girl talks to him in a flirtatious way, I don't know how I would possibly be able to handle letting him kiss another woman, or anything like that. After speaking to my mom about how I wanted to save all those woman, she told me there was no point because they were brain washed and they thought that the way they were living was okay. It's not okay. Those woman don't have the power that the woman in "our world" do. That's not fair, it's not right. Once Joshua had confessed to the prophet that he and Kyra were having secret meetings, in result, they were both beaten and Joshua was kicked out of the community, but Kyra was behind soon after, it took a few times but she managed to run away from the life she had always known. I've never been so excited for someone in a book before. I wish every woman in her position could be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment